Logo SR Alpha 2017

Rendering differencies between builds?

More
15 years 2 months ago #1002 by thomas_f
I don't get this... I'm getting some rendering inconsistencies between build 052 and build 075. Please have a look at attached files. The darker image is from the preview window in build 052. In comparison the other image which was taken from the preview window of build 075 appears very washed out, lacks definition in shadow areas. Tried keeping all the settings between the builds as identical as possible. Build 075's color mapping was set to user. No gamma correction was used in either of the builds. But visually the difference between the two renderings would suggest some gamma related issue.

I find it rather confusing, and it will be difficult to migrate a project over builds if the rendering result changes so dramatically for each beta version.

On a side note I also find the whole involvement of a gamma setting very confusing, and cannot quite see the point right now. If you want a darker or brighter image you change the camera setting, yes? The rest of the tone adjustment is usually done in post. There was an earlier build where gamma wasn't implemented. All very straightforward, and personally I preferred it that way.

Thanks

Thomas

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 2 months ago #1003 by thomas_f
Build 075 attached

More
15 years 2 months ago #1004 by subburb
Hi Thomas,

you're right it seems to be gamma related...
first i've to say that gamma management in SR0.75 is almost the same than 0.52, but fully debugged.
The only addon to this tool is the "later" button, to help you composite gamma "later" in compositing software.

if you don't use the SR gamma correction, then your render will follow the max internal gamma values.

you can check this easily :
open Sr 0.75, verify that gamma correction is off, and check the value in the spinner. It shows the actual max gamma values. if the value is not 1.0 you can modify manually your max gamma settings to 1.0 (while sr is off).
You can also apply an SR color mapping setted to 1.0 to be sure you're working with gamma 1.0, whaterver your max gamma values.

Basically the interior preset is more or less equal to 0.52 internal settings, but now preset are fully customizable.
i say more or less, because there's some improvements wich can affect renders : glossies interpolation, reduction of irradiance map min and max when render size is growing, and so on.

Gamma stuff is something hard to manage, i've tried to make it as simple as possible, and i'll take account of your post for next builds.

More
15 years 2 months ago #1005 by subburb
i'll try to post next week some tutorial videos for each important feature of SR, like gamma, autosave, clay, optimisations, etc...

More
15 years 2 months ago #1006 by thomas_f
But is there really a need for this gamma option? I'd be interested to see if anybody actually wants it, what it's use would be.

The gamma value in the spinner when starting up 075 is 2.2. And even if the gamma option is off it changes VRays color mapping gamma to 2.2. When you fire up 0.52 the value in the spinner is 1.0 - thus leaving the default value of vray's gamma at 1.0.

One truly annoying thing is the warning dialogue that shows up each time I render using any of the gamma options in SR. I know you are meant to activate color selectors and material editor in preferences, but that messes up the impression I get from my material editor, so I prefer to leave them alone.

More
15 years 2 months ago #1007 by subburb
that's an interesting question ;)

i think that a lot of sr users use all days the gamma correction, but perhaps i'm wrong.
i let them answer to your question instead ;)

"old" 0.52 was forcing max gamma to 1.0 when gamma correction was off whatever the max gamma value before starting SR.
Several users asked me to don't touch anything to the max gamma values if they just leave off the gamma correction in SR. that's why the difference.

ok noticed for the annyoning warning, i'll just delete it ;)

Time to create page: 0.185 seconds

Contact informations

Subburb

32, Rue theophile Gautier
33110 Le Bouscat
FRANCE

(+33) 6 73 03 72 29

Newsletter

Keep in touch with us

facebook_32 youtube_32 vimeo_32